Frequently Asked Questions

If you cannot find the answer here to your question, please complete our enquiry form.

How can I apply?

Details of how to apply can be found here.

How does the interview and selection process work?

Full details of the interview and selection process can be found on the The National Recruitment Office website.

Can I change my programme of attachments?

It is difficult to change the ST1 attachments once a trainee has accepted a place on the scheme. The ST2 hospital attachment and the ST2 training practice offers more flexibility but you must let Training Program Directors know of any preferences.

How do I get study leave?

Study leave must be approved in advance by Medical Staffing based at Stafford DGH or St Georges or when attached to a General Practice by the Trainer and Practice Manager.

Application forms for Study Leave Funding are available from the VTS Course Administrator at Stafford Postgraduate Centre.

Can I chose which training practice I go to?

We try to allow a preference but this may not always be possible.

What forms do I need to fill in at the end of each job?

Each attachment in ST1 and ST2 requires a Clinical Supervisor’s Report to be completed. These are filled out by the clinical supervisor on the e-portfolio.

What do I need to do before starting the GP attachment?

Before any community attachment ie. General Practice post, F2 post in General Practice or Women's Health post, you must:

  1. Fill out form R7 which can be downloaded from the Deanery website, and pass this in good time to the practice to fill out. In addition one of the PCME's will also have to sign the form. This is a good opportunity to see the practice and speak to the practice Manager.
  2. Contact Defence Organisation and inform them of the attachment (fees will be re-imbursed).
  3. Contact the Practice Manager and present driving license, passport, Medical Defence certificate and completed R7.
  4. Bring your last pay statement as this will confirm your NI number and what rate of pay you were getting previously.
  5. You will need to have your name added to the PCT Performers’ List for Staffordshire PCT. You will require a CRB check as part of this process. Once completed this won’t have to be repeated during GP training. The Practice Manager at your ST2 practice will help you get a place on the Performers’ List.

I am a Public Health Trainee, can I attend the GP VTS?

This is possible and helps with a primary care perspective. Please contact the Course Administrator for details.

What is a Foundation Year post?

These are junior doctor posts which provide a wide range of training before the career specialisation. The GP attachment is in the second Foundation year. About 40% of F2 attachments have a GP or community attachment.

What is involved in GP training and the MRCGP?

In order to become a GP a trainee must complete the following:

  • 3 years of successful ARCP’s (Annual Reviews of Curriculum Progression)
  • Completion of out of hours training,
  • Holding a valid certificate for CPR and AED
  • The trainee must also complete the Applied Knowledge Test (AKT) and Clinical Skills Assessment (CSA).

The Completion of Training results in the Award of MRCGP. During the training, the trainee is known as an Associate in Training of the RCGP. The progress in Training is demonstrated by the Trainee e-Portfolio.